5 photo essay tips
1. Find a Topic: Photo essays are much entertaining if you do it on a topic you’re actually interested in.
2. Do your Research: After you find out what you want the topic to be about make sure to have some knowledge about the subject.
3. Find the “real story”: When you research the subject, don’t just get the overall view on it make sure to get very small details to make it personal.
4. Every dynamic story is built on a set of core values and emotions that touch the heart of its audience: Make the story you’re telling make the audience feel some type of way, whether it’s angry, happy, or sad.
5. Plan your Shots: Make sure to plan how you’re going to take the shots, lighting and the equipment you’re going to use, also make sure to take a lot of pictures it’s better to have more than less.
5 Tips for Creating a Photo Essay with a Purpose
1.Let it evolve on its own: Planning out what kind of pictures you’re going to take is really good, but if something unexpected happens don’t be scared to take pictures of that also, just go with the flow.
2.If you think there’s something there, there’s likely something there: If you’re working on the photo essay but also see other things going on it might not go with the essay but who cares take picture of it and you might be able to use it on another project.
3.Shoot every single thing: When you’re taking a picture of something make sure you take the picture plenty of times & also get different angles of it to make sure you at least like one of them.
4.Ask for help with image selection: Make sure to ask for help picking out the photos you’re going to use, your bias because you took the pictures so if you ask for an opinion on the pictures you’ll have an unbiased opinion.
5.Tell your story, in fact shout it from the rooftops if you can: After your finished with the photo essay make sure to post it anywhere you can, if it sends a message it might help someone out so don’t be scared to talk about it.